Motorcycle & Trike Touring Tips

Touring tips

There's nothing quite like the experience of touring on a bike, whatever make or model it is, but no bike is better suited to touring than a Goldwing or Trike.

Here’s what you should carry on your motorcycle when abroad:

  • First-aid kit
  • Tool and bulb kit (ensure you have the tools to remove a wheel)
  • Warning triangle (one per group)
  • Reflective vest. Note: this must be worn if on a hard-shoulder (ie. breakdown, bird watching or otherwise)
  • Breathalyzer (must be carried in France and we would recommend carrying two)

Essential documents:

  • Driving license (or international if held)
  • Motor insurance certificate (stating European cover)
  • Vehicle registration document, and MOT if required (Note: all the above documents MUST NOT be photocopies. Always take a copy of your documents before you set off and leave these copies at home)
  • EHIC NHS Medical Card (E111) [online registration form]

Other useful items:

  • European breakdown cover
  • Medical insurance and travel insurance
  • Maps or Sat Nav (if using a Sat Nav, carry maps as a back-up)
  • Phrase/Translation books
  • Credit/debit card PIN numbers
  • Euros / Local currency

Prepare your bike:

  • A service before you set off, ask for your brake pads to be checked
  • Check your tyres (You must have at least 2mm when leaving Germany)
  • Ultra seal your tyres (or carry a suitable sealant or repair kit)
  • Take your spare key (don't carry it in the bike)
  • If your motorcycle is less than 2 years old, carry your service book (for any warranty problems)

Final details:

Carry contact details of your next of kin, let your fellow travelers or group leader know if you or your passengers have any medical conditions and inform your accommodation if you have any special dietary requirements. If you're unsure of anything else, contact our motorcycle team.