How And Who Can Use Your Car?
Before you can lease a car through the Motability Scheme, you’ll need to make sure you’re happy to lease a car within the Scheme’s terms and conditions.
We’ll ask you to make sure:
The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit.
Only named drivers listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance can drive the car.
We will only accept drivers who have a legally valid driving licence. Drivers with a non-UK driving licence will be subject to additional checks.
At the time of ordering your new car, you, your nominated drivers and the Motability dealer will need to sign a 'statement of responsibilities and suitability confirmation' form to confirm you understand and agree to follow the terms and conditions for using your Motability car.
Misuse would be considered as:
- Not giving the disabled person the benefit of the car
- Not taking proper care of your car
- Driving whilst uninsured or banned
- Using the car in a criminal act
- Lending, sub-leasing or selling the car
- Using the car for unauthorised business purposes, for example, as a taxi or delivery vehicle